Wednesday is trivia night, which means that we grab a quick dinner and head off to the pub to impress people with our trivia knowledge. Well, mostly Nick and his colleagues’ trivia knowledge. I sit there and eagerly await food or cat related questions, of which there are usually none.
Seeing as I was napping when Nick came home at 6pm yesterday, this was the only thing I could make before we had to rush off to the pub. It’s quick and sinfully delicious. The only thing it is not, is good for you.
This is by no means an authentic carbonara which has guanciale (cured pork cheek), eggs, parmesan, pepper and definitely no cream or garlic. It’s cheating, but it’s also foolproof for a beginner as there’s no chance you could scramble the eggs.
1 large egg yolk, or 2 small egg yolks
generous amount of freshly cracked pepper
grated parmesan, about 10-20g
4 rashers of middle bacon, diced (trimmed of fat-since this is already pretty unhealthy)
1 clove of garlic, finely diced
freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- Start cooking your pasta – once the pasta is in the pot, start cooking the sauce. I use 100g dried pasta per person, but we’re big eaters.
- In a bowl, combine egg yolk, cracked pepper, grated parmesan and mix to combine.
- In a small frypan, cook bacon and garlic on a medium heat. Add cream and heat through until warmed. Just don’t boil it.
- Add heated cream mixture to the egg yolk mixture and stir to combine.
- Drain pasta and immediately toss it in the sauce.
- Add chopped parsley and season with extra black pepper and grated parmesan. Serve immediately.